Sunday, December 29, 2013

All the Single...Zombies




Last week, the landlady and her daughter took me to their gym "N-Club" for two exercise classes--Sexy Dance and Yoga. I was a little nervous about what Sexy Dance might entail but it really wasn't really all that provocative, according to American standards. Especially when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and got more of a zombie-vibe (like the dancers in Michael Jackson's Thriller video) than I did a Beyonce vibe. There was one part of the dance where we dropped to our hands and knees and swished our hair around. Then as quickly as we got down, we had to spring back up. I looked over at the landlady (who's six years older than me) and realized we were both holding our knees, struggling to get up. Not sexy. 

Then came the yoga class where I earned back some of the face I had lost in Sexy Dance. I was the star pupil as the teacher from India taught the whole thing in English and I was really the only one who could follow him.  He did some things that made me question his yoga credentials, though.  He had us do a lot of exercises that reminded me of 1970s calisthenics. Arm circles, bicycling kicks and head rolls. And then he would have us start 'sun salutations' on the right leg 3 times in a row and never give the left leg a chance. Other exercises we'd do 5 repetitions of one thing and 7 of another. Did he have an aversion to even numbers? Does Vietnam import random Indian people to teach yoga the way they do native English speakers to teach English?

All in all, a successful outing and if the price is right, I'll be joining the gym. Bring on the arm circles and hair swishing!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I can just imagine you swinging your hair. This is all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, thanks for your comment! Not to disappoint but I had my hair pinned up so not much moved but the bangs.

    ReplyDelete